The Tradescantia Zebrina - Burgundy Wandering Jew originates from the southern parts of Mexico. It is a perennial, ornamental plant frequently used as an attractive house plant for its stripped, silvery-white pattern on purplish-green leaves with a deep purple underside. Provide gradual acclimation to brighter lights in warmer months if moving outside to avoid sunburn. Can be kept outside in partial shade in mild climates that won't freeze over as this will kill the plant and it will not regrow. Though they thrive better in full sun exposure, too much sun can cause their color to wash out. Not enough light will cause lower stems to drop and leaves loose most of their striking colors. Their stems are very fragile to any roughness or accidental bumps, so mindfulness when handling and placing is recommended to ensure the longevity and health. Pale hairs cover their fleshy leaves giving them a sparkle look on the surface in bright light. Can have sporadic blooms throughout the year and produce small white to lavender flowers with yellow stamens, though uncommon in indoor house plants.
- This Tradescantia Zebrina comes in a 3.5" cup or a 6" hanging basket
- Family: Spiderwort - Commelinaceae
- Tough and thrives in most indoor conditions
- Trailing/creeping plant
- Can grow 6-12' in height
- Alternatively grown silver striped, purple/green leaves with deep purple underside
- 1/2" wide white/lavender blooms
- Allow to dry between watering
- Indoor lighting: Bright light
- Outdoor lighting: Partial shade
- Pinch for compact growth
- Hardiness zone: 9-11 View Map
*We cannot send plants to Alaska or Hawaii.
*Plants ship dormant in winter months.
*Pictures shown are of mature plants and not what you will receive.