The Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil', Sky Pencil Holly or also commonly known as the Japanese Holly is a narrow, dense, multi-branched, columnar growing evergreen. The leaves are a glossy dark green that lack those pointed edges typical of holly's. Blooms in late spring small inconspicuous white flowers that attract pollinators. As an all female species, does require a male species nearby for cross pollination in order to produce the dark purple fruit in autumn that attract birds.
- Allow 18"-24" of space apart for growth.
- Can be grown in a container
- This Sky Pencil Holly comes potted in 2.5” pots as a 3pack
- Size: Mature size can reach 6' - 8' x 2' - 3'
- Light: Full to partial sun.
- Hardiness zone: 5-9 View map
- Characteristics: Grows in a narrow, columnar shape. Can be pruned all year round but avoid pruning in late fall. Provide about an inch of insulation for change in temperatures and moisture control. Low maintenance, except pruning which is optional. Protect from intense sun and harsh winds in winter.
Growth Rate: Moderate to slow
- Soil, Water, Fertilize: Moist, cool, rich, well draining pH 5-7. Tolerant to cold and drought once established. Though unnecessary, fertilize in the second growth year in early spring with a slow release fertilizer.
*Plants cannot be shipped to Alaska or Hawaii.
*Plants ship dormant in winter months.
*Pictures shown are of mature plants and not what you will receive.