Planting Your New Fruit Trees
- Choose a location with well-drained soil and full sun exposure.
- Dig a hole that is twice as wide as the root ball of the tree.
- Plant the tree at the same depth it was in the container or nursery.
- Backfill the hole with soil and tamp down gently.
- Water the tree thoroughly.
- Water regularly, keeping the soil consistently moist but not waterlogged.
- Fertilize in early spring with a balanced fertilizer, following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Prune in late winter or early spring to promote healthy growth and to shape the tree.
- Watch for pests and diseases, and treat as needed.
- Mulch around the base of the tree to retain moisture and suppress weeds.
- Provide support for the tree if necessary, as it grows.